Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Recipe - Shredded Pork in the Crockpot

Good morning ladies. As I told you the other day, Bi Lo has their Boston Butts on sale for 99 cents per pound. This is a pretty good price. Every once in a while they will get as low as 79 cents per pound but 99 cents is still a good deal. Anytime they are on sale for this price, I stock up on at least 2 or 3 as my family LOVES when I cook BBQ and we have it a couple times a month usually.

So, since Boston Butts are on sale this week and some of you don't know what to do with a Boston Butt, thought I would share my recipe with you today. My goal is to share at least one recipe per week that is a "tried and true" recipe that my family loves that incorporates at least one item that is on sale for that week. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

BBQ Shredded Pork (Provided to me years ago by my good friend Joette C.)

3 lb or larger Boston Butt
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
BBQ sauce of choice (my family prefers I use a mustard base sauce)

* Place the Boston Butt in your crockpot and pour the vinegar and water over the top of the roast.
* You can salt and pepper the meat, along with any other "spices" your family like at this point. However, my family always prefers it when I cook it "plain".
* Cook on low in your crockpot for 8-10 hours (I have been known to leave them in the crockpot overnight and until the next afternoon when I come home from work and it still cooks up wonderfully and never overcooks).
* When ready, drain the liquid from the crockpot and use two forks to shred the meat.
* Add your favorite bottle of bbq sauce, stir and enjoy. (Sometimes I leave it "plain" in the crockpot and let everyone use the sauce on the side as well, especially if company is coming that may prefer a "red" bbq sauce.) Good served on hamburger buns as well!

That is it!!! I know - you are thinking "That is awfully plain and it ain't going to be good." But I assure you, try it and you will like it. I cooked 30 pounds of boston butt for a party I had a couple months ago and everyone that came raved about it and said it was the best they have had, including any from the "famous BBQ spots" in town!

I hope you enjoy!

Happy Cooking!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment